Monday, January 25, 2010

Running


I started training for a 10k about 3 weeks ago.  Training includes running 3-4 miles about 3 days a week.  In between I have been doing cross-training and stretching.  I am a mean couch potato so all this activity is kinda weird for me.  I've always liked the outdoors, hiking and walking but never running.  At least not over 3 miles and this was done only because I was doing a 5k.  Despite my daily huffing and puffing, sweat drenched unders, and sore legs, I have yet to see my mom-gut wither and disappear.  The muffin top is still a top.  She stands proudly, jutting out her "chin" to world, saying - I make Christine look pregnant and I don't care!  Before you send me an email asking me if I am still eating carbs, let me say one thing: Hold up there, missie!  I'm not gonna give up carbs.  So ask me something else.  I have been eating fewer carbs if that helps.  One of the saddest days was when I figured out my fave tortilla chips were about 10 cals a chip.  (tear drop).

You might ask me why I'm running.  Go ahead ask me.  Well, the main reason is to give my workouts a purpose; another reason is that I LOVE the high that running gives me; thirdly, I like running with my new girl peeps, Mel and Lisa.  They provide entertainment and encouragement.  We're like our own support group.  We meet on Saturday mornings and run about 4 miles and then say goodbye and go on our ways to families, housework and daily life.  For that 1 hour though, we are athletes smiling and sweaty, out in the world and having a blast.