Tuesday, January 25, 2011

things that make me happy...

Happy new year, beyotches!
Things are hunky dory in our home.
Children are doing well. I am keeping busy with child rearing. (sounds so weird, doesn't it? like animal husbandry.) Anyway, I am hand-raising my little goat herd of two. It can be boring, hum drum stuff. So during my time off - after they are asleep - I troll the web for things that make me happy.

1) Hats!

Regard...












2) Comedy/jokes/reality TV/life in general
I love to laugh and find a lot of things hilarious in the routine nature of life.  I believe that laughter is the best medicine and we all need to take ourselves less seriously.  SNL skits, Jersey Shore, Kathy Griffin, my hubbie's jokes, my parents' jokes (they have awesome senses of humor)....these things sustain and feed me.  Life can crush you.  You have to hold yourself up with laughter.  Even the unruly, bawdy, unsavory, sailor-y kind! (my favorite!) Fart joke, anyone?   Next...

3) Home cooked meals.
I love to go to someone's house and eat their food.  Better if they actually prepared it.  I also love to plan and cook meals for others.  I used to hate to cook.  In fact, I held cooking as one a low-level chore that women had to do for their husbands. (hey, I was raised by a very traditional Korean woman).  So, it held no appeal for me.  Then I gave birth to a little rascal who was allergic to everything under the sun so I had to belly up to the stove practically every meal to produce something that would nourish and not injure his innards.  This brings us to present day.  2011.  I am cooking a lot and as a result, enjoying food more.  When you prepare your own food, you notice the subtleties of other people's dishes.  You try to figure out what spices they used or if they steamed or stir-fried something.  It's amazing!  Food is art.  Food makes you feel good.  It's essential and makes us go.  But...I still love diet coke.

4) Diet coke.
I know I have to give up DC.  I love it so.  I probably have rock hard aspartame crystals in my body.  It's like cigarettes.  It pains you to give it up.  I'm trying to switch it up to water with tons of fresh squeezed lemon juice.  The tartness seems to satisfy my deadened, overly stimulated by diet coke taste buds.  We'll see.  I need hard core prayer on this one.

5) Dressing up
I have been working out a lot lately so the ol chassis looks (in the words of Larry David, creator of Seinfeld and Curb your Enthusiasm) prehtee, prehtee good.  (translation:  i'm lookin' kinda decent naked).  So dressing up is more fun.  Not an exercise in silk seam stress-testing.  Will this sheer tank top rip open like an envelope during dinner is not a question that I need to ask right now.  Instead, it is...what can I wear to show off my ripped (ok....just toned) back.

6) My family
I have worked hard for this family.  I love my husband (my best friend) and my kids (2 little munchkins).  I look at them and I feel a deep joy.  One that I have never felt in my life.  I am home and I thank Jesus for bringing me here.  Amen, sisters.

Carry on and keep being awesome.  I'm glad I get a chance to share this with all 5 of my readers.