Thursday, January 30, 2014

2013

What a year!  What an amazing year!  We survived!  We still have oxygen, working sun, food, etc.  Much to be thankful for.  Enough of the boring stuff.  Here's my list of things that happened big and small in 2013...

- We raised more than $5,000 for FARE (Food Allergy Research & Education).  I decided to put my anxiety about D's multiple food allergies into action - to help him and those like him live a more normal life.  The whole family went on a 5k walk with other families and friends of those with food allergies.  It was empowering and sobering as many parents of children who died from allergies were in attendance.

- I started mtn. biking.  Yeah bitch!  I - a 44 year old - mom of two started mountain biking.  Mid-life crisis?  Sure!  Call it what you will.  With my trusty group (called the Re-vuars) of careening mom bikers (called the Re-vulvars), I started biking 2x weekly up and down the hills of Arastradero & Montebello Preserves.  Steep dusty trails are now my friend.

- The kids started woodworking class.  This is not Khan Academy or digital arts but just plain wood working.  I have this hunch that the kids need more tactile, calming things aside from swiping a screen and seeing fabulously rendered digital pictures.

- M started a new job.  Yup another start-up.  Here we go again.  But I'm glad my hub has found his niche….

- Smallest Lenz started kindergarten.  I didn't actually do donuts in the parking lot but I did tell a lot of people that I would on the first day of school.  This is a huge milestone for me.  As a stay at home mom - I thought this day would never come.  Once it did - I felt a little bit sad but mostly fuckin' jubilant.

- More 5ks - S and I ran our second Girls on the Run 5k and I also did the Willow Glen 5k with some dear friends.  Running is still in my blood until my hips start lying (shakira).

- 3rd annual Thanksgiving celebration with my dear friend - Diane.  She has come for three years in a row and I'm deeply happy that we've kept our friendship going.  Now she has a beautiful daughter so we have the kids to corral together and watch them grow.  I love you Dmasterflash.

That's all for 2013.  I'm sure there are other things I can't remember now.  One thing I do know is that this life is short and it can be glorious.  Take advantage of every second - for the next is not promised to us!!!!

xoxo C,