Monday, August 09, 2010

Summer!

I love summer.  It is a relaxing time; people move more slowly through warmer air.  You can see more ease on people's faces.  They look peaceful, walking in their shorts and flip flops, perusing a farmer's market.  It's not the bundled down look of winter with people wearing raincoats and hoods.  Food tastes fresher because everything is in season.  I planted tomatoes for the first time this year.  They taste great! I can't help but rub my hands on the leaves and smell them.  It's got this great tomato-ey smell.  Compared to my humble crop, Safeway tomatoes remind me of red rubber balls.  
This summer has been very mild.  Temps in 70s most of the time.  No 100-degree record breakers yet.  I remember one year the temps topped off at 104+ for 3-4 days.  While we were on vacation in CO, my parents dealt with the sweltering heat by going to my Dad's office in Cupertino where the air conditioning (left on over the weekend) roared away on empty cubicles and conference rooms.    They also went to the mall where they found similarly minded folks lining the walkways, sitting on the floors and couches.  I wish we had one or two of these 100+ days before we hit Fall....it just seems fitting.  I look forward to the next one.